Installing with F20 installer report (and failure)

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Thu May 29 22:11:33 UTC 2014

On 05/30/2014 04:29 AM, lee wrote:
> Sudhir Khanger <sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com> writes:

>>> Hm, are such cards going to be supported soon?  So far, I haven`t been
>>> able to use it at all because when I switch, there is no output to the
>>> screen anymore.
>>>
>> Recent Kernels do support power management to turn off dedicated graphic
>> cards. It being able to automagically switch graphic card for GPU load is a
>> long shot at the moment.
> If would already help if I could switch manually.
>
>> Nouveau doesn't even work on my system. It floods my system with messages [1]
>> which makes it impossible to get to the desktop. I use Nvidia binary drivers
>> through Bumblebee which works fine.
> It`s some ATI card in this case.  Perhaps the drivers would work, but
> there won`t be any point when nothing is displayed ...
>
>>> More importantly, the system doesn`t boot.  Any ideas how to install
>>> Fedora with the setup I described so that it boots, or how to get it to
>>> boot?
>> The docs tell me it is quite possible to create RAID partition using Anaconda.
>>
>> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/20/html/Installation_Guide/Create_Software_RAID-x86.html
>>
>>   http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/17/html/Installation_Guide/Create_Software_RAID-x86.html
> It was possible to create them --- or least to tell the installer to do
> so.  Since it doesn`t boot, I don`t know what was actually done.
>
>>> Why is LVM a default "Partition scheme" (whatever that means)?  I have
>>> no use for lvm.
>>> Let`s say "I want more space" ... and "Standard Partition" (whatever
>>> that is) and "Encrypt my data and set a passphrase later".
>> Why do you want to use RAID-1 when you say that you have no idea what LVM or
>> even Standard Partitions are?
> I`m not saying that I have no idea what LVM is, only that I don`t have
> use for it.  And the installer doesn`t say what it means by "standard
> partitions".  I want to use raid because I don`t store data on a single
> disk only.
>
>> And same goes for employing full-disk encryption. If you don't know
>> what to do with passphrase, you will inevitably use your data
>> permanently and blame Fedora.
> I`m not saying that I don`t know what to do with it.  Why do I have to
> enter the passphrase like 10 times?  Why does the installer want to save
> it, and where?
>
> Anyway, I want to use the system.  Since Fedora fails and there aren`t
> any ideas about getting it to work, it seems I have to install something
> else.
Hi Lee,
     Just my 2 cents worth, the dot you are seeing on the top left of
the screen is displayed just before the grub boot menu is displayed,
which as the menu is not displayed means that the system can't find
grub.cfg which is in /boot/grub2. I haven't tried playing around with
software raid much, which also leads to the question of why raid1 which
is mirroring rather than raid0 which is striping and provides more disk
space availability, but I digress. I thought that support for software
raid was implemented in kernel modules, which if correct, the kernel is
in /boot, which I thought you said was a raid device, hence how does it
load the drivers to support raid from a raid device before it has the
drivers, if you know what I mean, which would also explain why it can't
load grub.cfg. I know its a pain, but I would try reinstalling again and
configuring your devices with /boot as non-raid, and configuring
everything else as raid.

regards,
Steve