QuickSynergy

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri May 30 16:44:04 UTC 2014

On 05/30/2014 07:47 AM, Liam Proven issued this missive:
> Has anyone successfully got this working between two Fedora 20 machines?
>
> The app says that the default port -- 24800 -- is not available. I
> don't know why, I can't see anything taking it in the firewall or
> anything, but anyway, changing to different ports doesn't seem to
> help... the client and server never connect.
>
> Can anyone give me any pointers as to how to start to troubleshoot this?

I use synergy all the time between F19 and F20 machines (the console is
currently on an F19 box).

On the F20 box (XFCE), right-click on the firewall icon and edit the
current zone (I'm using "Public"). Click on the "Ports" tab, then click
the "Add" button. In the pop-up, put in "24800" and the TCP protocol
and click "Save". That should open up the port for now.

If you want this to be permanent, click on the "Configuration" dropdown,
select "Permanent", and repeat the "Ports->Add" thing and save this
configuration for future boots.

You'll need to have port 24800/TCP open on ALL machines involved in
the synergy config. For full disclosure, here's my /etc/synergy.conf
file (and yes, it hasn't changed in six years despite all the updates
and rot that's gone on)

# Synergy configuration for Rick Stevens at AllDigital