DHCP Reservations

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Feb 2 22:04:46 UTC 2015

On 02/02/2015 04:20 PM, Jim Lewis wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>    Quick question about DHCP reservations: I have laptops with both wired
> and wireless NICs, is it okay to have the router assign the same IP to
> both interface? I am assuming it will let me do that. I will not, and do
> not ever, have both interfaces active at the same time. In order to make
> this post at least somewhat relevant to Fedora I am currently running
> three of them in my home office. I keep thinking that I am missing
> something, possibly obvious, as to why I shouldn't do this.
>
>    I have my new Netgear R6200v2 working perfectly and I don't want to do
> anything to piss it off.

What you are missing is how the lease is released.  There is no, 'drop
this lease' operation that can occur, say, when your system goes into
suspend mode.  Or you simply walk out of radio range.

You would have to set the lease time quite short and wait that time
before connecting the other interface.  You would have to turn off one
interface, wait, then start the other.

Actually, with macPRIV we are moving in the other direction, to have
frequent, different IP addresses for clients as your IP address is
carried in all sorts of higher layers.  And IPv6 further compounds this.