Brother HL-L2340DW -_-

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 15:07:06 UTC 2015

On 05.02.2015 10:07, Bob Goodwin wrote:

>> On this list it happens all the time, including questions and answers.:)
>>
>> Also this list is not:
>> "Customer Service Center"
>> "CERTIFIED Center of Excellence"
>> :)
> .
> No, as a rule this list is better than any "Customer Service Center!"

>> Why not study the product and inquire*before*  purchase?
>> Is the price priority or should it be something "else", it is up to each to decide.
> .
>
> I read the spec's carefully and knew what I was buying, it was CHEAP! My
> HL-2170W needed either Toner, a new toner cartridge, or a drum assembly,
> I could not determine which without some empirical testing and I had
> nothing to try to substitute ... I consulted the people I buy toner
> from, considered prices, and decided the printer Newegg had on sale that
> morning was worth trying, a whole new set of parts for what it might
> cost to fix the HL-2170W. Who could turn that down? The lack of an
> Ethernet port worried me but I bought it anyway and paid for that with
> my time required to get the damned thing set to where I could access it
> with the browser.
>>
>> Not that I recommend, but few*details*  catches the eye, and it is applicable to any printer of any manufacturer:
>>
>> - HL-L2340DW:
>> a) Wireless 802.11b/g/n, Hi-Speed USB 2.0, Wi Fi Direct
>> b) 1-line LCD display
>>
>> - HL-L2380DW:
>> a) Wireless 802.11b/g/n, Hi-Speed USB 2.0, Ethernet, Wi Fi Direct
>> b) 2.7" Color TouchScreen Display
>> c) Copying and high-quality color scanning
>>
>> Ref.
>> http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L2340DW-Printing-Wireless-Networking/dp/B00LZS5EEI
>>
>> Whether a particular model actually has the Ethernet should always carefully check.
>> Because of the lack of the Ethernet,*any*  network-capable printer is just a good joke.
>> Always has to go with the Ethernet, and only then with the WiFi, NFC, etc.
>> In this way, it "should" be possible to access WebUI management without hassle.
>> Is it so with the Brother, do not ask me.
>>
>> 1-line LCD display!?:)
>> Welcome to the year 2015.
> .
> Yes, a tiny one line display with no backlight. I needed a flashlight
> and a magnifier to read it!
>>
>> Nor I can not comment on what is the*actual*  support for "Linux".
>> BTW Linux is just a kernel.:)
>> How many there are technical illiteracy in the world it is actually amazing.
>>
>> Besides the Brother is neither the first nor the last manufacturer of printers.
> .
>
> My experience with Brother has been generally good. They don't do things
> to make it difficult to refill their toner cartridges, just pull a plug
> out and pour in the toner, reset a "flag gear" and it thinks it has a
> new Brother cartridge.

Just because it is cheaper do not bring your health in question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toner#Health_risks
An unpublished study at the University of Rostock in Germany is reported to have found that the microscopic particles in toner are carcinogenic, similar to asbestos. Several technicians who had been working with printers and copiers on a daily basis were observed for several years. They showed increased lung problems.[4]

Therefore please do not refill the cartridge yourself, for your own health.