Network-based install unreliable?

W. Michael Petullo mike at flyn.org
Wed Feb 11 20:44:14 UTC 2015

Since Red Hat 4.2, I have frequently performed network-based installs
of Red Hat/Fedora. Some time around Fedora 16, installing over the
network became somewhat unreliable. It seems like some days it just won't
work. Generally there is some package that cannot be found or something
to that effect.

I have always assumed that problems with network installs occur because
of inconsistencies across Fedora's mirrors.

Today, I had trouble until I changed the source URL to
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/... and avoided mirrorlists.

I have had this trouble on two university campuses and also from home.

The stange thing is that I do not see too many complaints from anyone else.
Has anyone else had trouble with this?

I would much prefer using the mirror system than hitting
dl.fedoraproject.org directly.

--
Mike

:wq