FC20 + kernel 3.18.5 + nvidia does not work

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Wed Feb 11 20:52:08 UTC 2015

On 02/11/2015 07:52 AM, Frédéric Bron wrote:
> Be careful before upgrading. I get the following error in Xorg.0.log:
>
> [     8.095] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel
> module. Please see the
> [     8.095] (EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error
> messages and
> [     8.095] (EE) NVIDIA:     consult the NVIDIA README for details.
> [     8.095] (EE) No devices detected.
>
> and no graphical user interface!
>
> Frédéric
I have the same problem under F21, I've upgraded to that kernel and
there is no corresponding kmod-nvidia driver as yet. I also have the
akmod-nvidia packages installed but found that the source process does
not work properly in F21 on my system, as akmods is enabled for starting
at boot time but it is not compiling the driver as it is supposed to, so
I have had to run it manually to get a binary driver. You may want to
have a look at the akmod-nvidia packages from rpmfusion as a means of
getting a driver if there isn't an already compile driver for you
installed kernel available.