Fedora 20: After running yum update the Mate Terminal doesn't start anymore

Jim Lewis jim at jklewis.com
Wed Feb 25 19:36:56 UTC 2015

> On Mon, 2015-02-23 at 12:49 -1000, Jim Lewis wrote:
>> I ran "yum update" on my Fedora 20 system a few days ago. I normally
>> don't do this as something always breaks and in this case it was the
>> Mate-Terminal.
>
> I can't say that I have that experience, it's very rare that an update
> breaks something on my system.  Sounds like you have something wrong
> with your system, more than Fedora in general.

  What does "very rare" mean? So it has happened to you on occasion? It
happens to me on occasion and certainly does to others as well and so I
don't trust it. I want an update to improve my system, not make it
worse.

  The problem is still there and no I have not rebooted yet. Actually, I
should point out that the update did solve the audio problem I was
having with Skype. Since the pulseaudio files were now brought up to the
correct version I was now able to install the 32-bit ones. Works great.

  Any idea if a reboot will fix this, or will I lose access to the Mate
terminal completely?

Jim Lewis