Fedora 20: After running yum update the Mate Terminal doesn't start anymore

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Feb 27 14:37:05 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-02-26 at 15:03 -1000, Jim Lewis wrote:
> I have been running Fedora 14 since it came out and have never
> installed an update (well, okay, I manually installed the Shellshock
> patch and do run my own custom kernel). I'm still waiting for an
> intrusion or something to go wrong. I am behind a pretty good firewall
> and don't do anything really stupid with my systems. I have to say 14
> was and is the best Fedora they ever came out with.

Been using since it was Red Hat Linux 6, if I recall correctly.  Though
I never tried 14, I skipped several releases after Fedora 9.

I can't say I've ever encountered an externally caused problems.  I've
had crashes related to video, that have usually gone away with updates,
thanks to having to put with /some/ NVidia or ATI cards.

> Basically every time I run an update, on anything, something goes
> wrong.

Can't say I've had that.

> I was great at IBM as a quality control person because nothing ever
> got past me!

I work in video production, and one of the local equipment suppliers
used to use me as their "fussy customer" litmus test.  If I didn't pick
something out as a problem, they were pretty sure that nobody else
would.

> Can you point me to where one of these other terminals is? The only
> reason I can still use one or make more is because there were some
> already opened before I ran the update.

Often, one can type "term" in a command line, and get a basic term,
instead of gnome-term, or mate-term, or the command name for some other
terminal type.  I don't seem to be able to do that at the moment, but I
have in the past.  Perhaps my MATE install on Fedora 20 didn't bother
installing extra ones.  Might be worth doing so, for future problem
solving.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.18.7-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Wed Feb 11 21:16:53 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.