Fedora 20: After running yum update the Mate Terminal doesn't start anymore

Jim Lewis jim at jklewis.com
Fri Feb 27 20:17:23 UTC 2015

> On Thu, 2015-02-26 at 15:03 -1000, Jim Lewis wrote:
>
>> Can you point me to where one of these other terminals is? The only
>> reason I can still use one or make more is because there were some
>> already opened before I ran the update.
>
> Often, one can type "term" in a command line, and get a basic term,
> instead of gnome-term, or mate-term, or the command name for some other
> terminal type.  I don't seem to be able to do that at the moment, but I
> have in the past.  Perhaps my MATE install on Fedora 20 didn't bother
> installing extra ones.  Might be worth doing so, for future problem
> solving.

Hi Tim,

  Well, I'm still trying to figure out how I can run a command to get a
command line from the command line when I don't have a command line.
Yes, I spent all night coming up with that :).

  Anyway, you gave me an idea when you mentioned "term". I had been
fussing with the panel trying to create my own Mate terminal. In
Properties, putting exactly what is in the real one resulted in the same
behavior, a box opening on the bottom panel for about 6 seconds saying
"Starting Mate...". But then no terminal. I then tried calling a script
which exported DISPLAY, and then calling mate-terminal. No good (an
strace showed that this was never going to work). I should probably add
that output to my bug.

  I had already installed xterm (starting with Fedora 21 you have to yum
install everything now). I changed it to xterm, fully expecting it to
fail just like these others. No, it didn't! I now have an xterm on the
panel, and can make others. I might actually put this on all my systems
(yeah, I really like command lines). So, a gold star for you!

Jim Lewis