Fedora-21 firewall advice?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 16:14:33 UTC 2015

Hi
On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 10:58 AM, Timothy Murphy  wrote:

> poma wrote:
>
> > firewalld != systemd  :)
>
> I assumed it was one of the facilities made feasible by systemd?
> If it has nothing to do with systemd, what exactly is its advantage?

I am not how what that question means.  firewalld has nothing to do with
systemd and vice versa other than the fact that any service in Fedora is
started using systemd.   Also both systemd and firewalld comes with
extensive documentation

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FirewallD

To quote

"The former firewall model with system-config-firewall/lokkit was static
and every change required a complete firewall restart. This included also
to unload the firewall netfilter kernel modules and to load the modules
that are needed for the new configuration. The unload of the modules was
breaking stateful firewalling and established connections.

The firewall daemon on the other hand manages the firewall dynamically and
applies changes without restarting the whole firewall. Therefore there is
no need to reload all firewall kernel modules. "

Rahul