Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5 on Alienware laptop

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Jan 26 09:04:22 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 10:29 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
> On 01/25/2015 09:17 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>

>> I remember the group selection, I did not remember that individual
>> packages were selectable.
>

> Once you'd selected a group, you could open up the list of programs.

That's Fedora 17 and older. And the interface was unreliable. You'd
uncheck packages, but because something else actually required them
they'd still be installed. The whole package thing is beyond nutty for
users to be involved in anyway. Dealing with them as metapackages, as
an "application" or suite, is a lot more intuitive and efficient both
at the front and back end of things.

> Generally speaking there was a core group of programs and a list of optional
> extras.  As an example, there was a text editor group that always gave you
> vi (or maybe vim) but also allowed you to install joe, pico, nano and so on
> if that's what you really wanted.

dnf groups install Editors

That's a hidden group, so it's 'dnf groups list hidden' which I think
is more than a bit buried. I suggested a Software add-on that'd show
groups with appstream data (nice icon, description, glue, etc), and
possibly some of these groups need adjusting. I don't see pico, nano,
or joe in Editors group. *shrug* But doing it by individual packages
is harder I think.

--
Chris Murphy