Change ip address -

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Oct 7 21:04:12 UTC 2015

On 06Oct2015 22:27, Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com> wrote:
>On 10/06/2015 05:06 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
>>Rick gave a nightmarishly complex answer, as did several others. It might
>>work, but I'm not sure I'd call it reasonable. Bob only needed a temporary
>>config, so the reasonable thing to do is to add an "eth0:0" with the right
>>addressing as already suggested using the "ifconfig" or "ip" commands.
>
>Yeah, he suggested that.
>
>https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2015-October/465478.html
>>If you want this to just be temporary, you could (as root):
>>ifconfig <name-of-network-device> 1.1.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

Hmm, I had thought it was you. [Digs back through the thread...] Aha, yes Rick
also suggested the direct approach.

Rick, I apologise.

I think my point becomes that all these things involving config files or
special tools like Network Mangler are (a) overkill for a small problem, (b)
indirect, not making very clear what underlying change is necessary and (c)
won't work on other platforms (i.e. non RH, Centos, Fedora).

Whereas the ifconfig is: simple, immediate, says exactly what is going on and
nothing else and will also work on any other Linux box and with only the most
trivial of changes, any other UNIX system.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>