NFS browsing from Nautilus

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Oct 8 04:51:56 UTC 2015

Allegedly, on or about 07 October 2015, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu sent:
> Nautilus doesn't have built in support for browsing NFS shares which I
> find really stupid. Is there an add-on or extension or something that
> will allow me to do that?

I think the problem is that automounts (which I've used for years, and
have a similar issue as you mention), is that they don't exist until
they're asked for.  I don't know if the NFS server advertises them as
available beforehand.

> I need to browse NFS automounts, but I can't until I first do an "ls"
> on the automount.

Or, goto a bookmarked shortcut (a remembered path to your NFS exported
directory), or create some symlinks that will lead there, or type the
address into the Nautilus file browser address bar.

For what it's worth, making symlinks to automount directories in your
homespace slows down the opening of Nautilus.  When something accesses
the homespace (e.g. Nautilus, or a menu), it tries to access everything,
and you have to wait for your automounts to get mounted.  I used to make
a sub-directory, and put the automounts in there.  That way, you're not
held up by them until you actually want to access them.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.

This email brought to you by potato omelates: Cut three medium-sized
potatoes into pieces, and boil them for ten minutes, then smash them
(that's mash them only once, so they're a bit chunky). Stir up four
eggs, like you're going to make scrambled eggs. Mix potatoes and eggs
together. Melt a large lump of butter in a frypan. Slowly fry (turn the
flame down low) small helpings until golden brown. Replenish the butter
as you go along, don't burn the butter. Tip out any butter that's
starting to burn, as you go along.