searching raid 6 card working with fedora 23

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 16:13:00 UTC 2016

On 02/02/2016 02:17 AM, thibaut noah wrote:
> This article seems to disagree with you :
> http://jrs-s.net/2015/02/03/will-zfs-and-non-ecc-ram-kill-your-data/

No, it doesn't.  It refutes a description of a single hypothetical
problem wherein scrubbing ZFS can corrupt your data.  That is to say
that it makes the case that ZFS doesn't need ECC any more than any other
filesystem.  However, it doesn't need ECC any less, either. ZFS doesn't
protect your data from corruption anywhere but on the disk.  If you care
about the integrity of your data, you should still use ECC RAM.

> I know and i won't be using zfs on hardware raid anyway. My issue here
> is hardware compatibility as i don't have enough sata ports to run my
> disks on my motherboard. Either i run pure hardware raid or hba + zfs,
> just need to be sure of the card.

I'd imagine it'd be harder to find a controller that Linux doesn't
support.  How many disks do you want to include in the array?  (And,
yes, most HBAs assume a hotplug backplane, not individual drive
connections.)

> zfs performance cost is not an issue when you have a high end desktop imo.

Sure, it's probably not.  But you didn't say "not an issue," you said
you expected better performance with ZFS.