dovecot? systemd?

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Thu Feb 11 14:05:32 UTC 2016

On 02/11/16 20:35, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I just did a "dnf update" and now dovecot won't start at boot.
>
> I get errors like:
>
> Feb 11 07:23:41 tomh systemd[1]: dovecot.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=89/n/a
> Feb 11 07:23:41 tomh systemd[1]: dovecot.service: Unit entered failed state.
> Feb 11 07:23:41 tomh systemd[1]: dovecot.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
>
> And over in maillog for the same timestamp:
>
> Feb 11 07:23:41 tomh dovecot: master: Error: service(imap-login): listen(*, 993) failed: Address already in use
> Feb 11 07:23:41 tomh dovecot: master: Fatal: Failed to start listeners
>
> But if I manually do this a few minutes after I boot:
>
> sudo systemctl restart dovecot.service
>
> It then starts running with no problems.
>
> So who the heck is grabbing the imap ports when dovecot tries to start at boot?

If you are certain the problem arose after the most recent update then the logical thing
to do is list what was updated.  Then, either downgrade them all or do it selectively to
see if you can revert to a working condition.

Also, you said "a few minutes after" you boot it manually restarts just fine.  Does that
mean there was a time prior to those few minutes where a manual start failed?

--
In reality, some people should stick to running Windows and others should stay away from
computers altogether.