Helping improve support for Thinkpad P70

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon Feb 22 05:59:52 UTC 2016

Hi all,

  After much struggling with Fedora 23 and CentOS 7 on a new Thinkpad
P70, I failed to get things working well. With all stock
install/updates, using "hybrid" graphics (intel + nvidia m600m), I would
get a black bar along the bottom of the screen that wouldn't display,
but was there (I could type, but not see what I typed, in full screen
terminals for example).

  If I switched to pure nvidia (discrete mode), I would get 1024x768 on
the nouveau drivers. I tried the RPMfusion nvidia drivers and it would
work for a short time only. First time that I suspended the laptop, I'd
lose the screen for good, even after a power cycle (text mode during
boot would show, but nothing when gnome started), but I could SSH into
it so the system was OK. So on and so forth with Fedora, CentOS, EPEL
kernel-ml, etc.

  I decided to try ubuntu, just to see if it was linux itself, but it
appears to work out of the box. So I am pretty sure that Linux in
general is OK (at least workable). It's a 4k screen on the laptop, for
what it matters.

  My question then is this;

  How/what can I do, as a user, to help improve support for this machine
under Fedora (and RHEL/CentOS)? I'm a sysadmin who works with EL, so I'd
really like to make this machine work in fedora where I am most
comfortable. :)

Thanks!

--
Digimer