Inconsistencies with tracer

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 11:59:27 UTC 2016

After updating with dnf I usually run "sudo tracer" to see what needs
to be restarted. I've noticed that the results are often inconsistent,
e.g. after a recent update I get:

        You should restart:
          * Some applications using:
              kdeinit4

          * These applications manually:
              abrt-applet
              chrome
              dolphin
              evolution
              evolution-addressbook-factory
              evolution-addressbook-factory-subprocess
              evolution-alarm-notify
              evolution-calendar-factory
              evolution-calendar-factory-subprocess
              evolution-source-registry
              file.so
              firefox
              firewall-applet
              goa-daemon
              goa-identity-service
              gvfs-goa-volume-monitor
              gvfsd-smb-browse
              insync
              kaccess
              kded5
              kdeinit5
              kglobalaccel5
              kmix
              konsole
              krunner
              kscreen_backend_launcher
              ksmserver
              kuiserver5
              kwalletd5
              mission-control-5
              plasmashell
              polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1
              qbittorrent
              xembedsniproxy
              yakuake

        Additionally to those process above, there are:
          - 6 processes requiring restart of your session (i.e. Logging out & Logging in again)

Note that last line. I exited the session and immediately logged into a
(non-GUI) console as root, then ran tracer again, getting this:

        You should restart:
          * Some applications using:
              service firewalld restart
              service gssproxy restart
              service libvirtd restart
              service nmbd restart
              service smb restart
              service sshd restart
              service tuned restart

          * These applications manually:
              cagibid
              cupsd
              fail2ban-server
              rsyslogd

        Additionally to those process above, there are:
          - 1 processes requiring reboot

Again. note the last line. So there are two issues here:

1) The first run of tracer didn't spot a bunch of services and other
demons that needed to be restarted.

2) It also didn't spot that I needed to reboot, meaning that just
logging out and in again would not have left me with a consistent
system.

Not sure if this can be classed as a bug or a feature.

poc