VLC VideoLAN

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Feb 22 18:10:12 UTC 2016

> On Sat, 2016-02-20 at 01:57 -0600, g wrote:
>> i can see that you are a gmail user, but that does not mean you have
>> go online to email thru it. you can handle your emails with
>> thunderbird,
>> or some of the other good email clients. such allows you to reply
>> interspersed and after quoted post.
>
> So does Gmail. Just select the text you want to comment on and hit
> Reply.

Guys, the last 25 or 30 replies on this thread have nothing to do with
solving Angelo's problem and instead has degenerated into a inane
discussion about email clients and whether or not SSL is secure or not
or how much you detest GMail or your retirement arrangements with the
government. One of you made your point, "please don't top post", but
let's try to solve Angelo's problem and not go off on some weird bloody
email-bashing tangent (and this is the second such thread I've seen
today).

Angelo, I can see two possible reasons VLC may not see the insertion of
a CD or DVD once it's running:

If you're running a desktop, check it's "Multimedia" options. Generally,
the desktop will "take over" the CD/DVD drive and when new media is
inserted, the desktop will try to invoke it's preferred player to handle
it. You may have to disable that on the desktop or tell it to use VLC.

If that's not the case, you may have to have VLC rescan available
devices when you insert a new piece of media. VLC does that on startup,
but I don't think it automatically does it periodically. YOU have to
tell it to.