[fedora-virt] No keyboard with Spice/qxl...

Georgios Petasis petasisg at yahoo.gr
Thu Mar 8 09:00:18 UTC 2012

Στις 8/3/2012 08:49, ο/η Alon Levy έγραψε:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 08:35:56AM +0200, Alon Levy wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 11:49:53PM +0200, Georgios Petasis wrote:
>>> Στις 7/3/2012 22:13, ο/η Alon Levy έγραψε:

>>> Dear Alon,
>>>
>>> I have placed the results here:
>>>
>>> http://server.intellitech.gr/spice.cap
>>>
>>> It does look like a binary file. Is it supposed to be this way?
>> Yes. Actually the file ending should have been pcap. It's a standard
>> format for network captures which I can read with wireshark with the
>> spice dissector and look for the key presses, just trying to figure out
>> if it's a problem at the client side or server/qemu side.
>>
> Sorry, wrong conclusion, it's probably spice but you didn't start the
> capture *before* the virt-manager connection.
>
> Perhaps an easier way to achieve that would be:
>
> destroy the vm. (stop it from virt-manager)
> start the capture (tcpdump -i ...)
> start the vm.
> do some key presses where you can see they don't have any affects.
> stop the capture.
> compress it this time - will save on the transport:
>   bzip2 spice.cap
>
> Thanks,
> Alon

Dear Alon,

The VM runs on a headless pc, that I access through VNC.
I did the following:

a) Installed wireshark, run as root (couldn't manage to run it as a
normal user, even after adding the user to the wireshark group - perhaps
a selinux denial).
b) Started capture on lo. I waited for a while, nothing got captured.
c) I started virt-manager, and then started the VM. Nothing captured.
d) I displayed the VM in virt-manager viewer, and capture started. I
waited until the capture log stopped having new entries.
e) I verified that each time I move the mouse, packets were captured.
f) I verified that when I press keys, again packets are logged.

I have saved the capture from inside wireshark here:
http://server.intellitech.gr/spice.cap.bz2

Towards the end of the capture, is only key presses, and the mouse
movement outside the VM viewer, to stop capturing.

I haven't managed to find the spice dissector in wireshark (I got
through yum).

Regards,

George