[fedora-virt] No keyboard with Spice/qxl...

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 09:30:12 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 11:00:18AM +0200, Georgios Petasis wrote:
> Στις 8/3/2012 08:49, ο/η Alon Levy έγραψε:

> >>Yes. Actually the file ending should have been pcap. It's a standard
> >>format for network captures which I can read with wireshark with the
> >>spice dissector and look for the key presses, just trying to figure out
> >>if it's a problem at the client side or server/qemu side.
> >>
> >Sorry, wrong conclusion, it's probably spice but you didn't start the
> >capture *before* the virt-manager connection.
> >
> >Perhaps an easier way to achieve that would be:
> >
> >destroy the vm. (stop it from virt-manager)
> >start the capture (tcpdump -i ...)
> >start the vm.
> >do some key presses where you can see they don't have any affects.
> >stop the capture.
> >compress it this time - will save on the transport:
> >  bzip2 spice.cap
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Alon
> >
> Dear Alon,
>
> The VM runs on a headless pc, that I access through VNC.
> I did the following:
>
> a) Installed wireshark, run as root (couldn't manage to run it as a
> normal user, even after adding the user to the wireshark group -
> perhaps a selinux denial).

Yes, wireshark works just as well. I run it as root too.

> b) Started capture on lo. I waited for a while, nothing got captured.

ok, if the VM runs on a separate pc, of course it doesn't work - I
wrongly assumed it was on the same pc as virt-manager. You need to
capture the interface that the spice connection is on - so the network
connection, which would be em1 / eth0. Wireshark has a neat mode where
it shows you the packets per interface before starting a capture on a
specific interface (menu->capture->interfaces, or ctrl-i).

> c) I started virt-manager, and then started the VM. Nothing captured.
> d) I displayed the VM in virt-manager viewer, and capture started. I
> waited until the capture log stopped having new entries.
> e) I verified that each time I move the mouse, packets were captured.
> f) I verified that when I press keys, again packets are logged.
>
> I have saved the capture from inside wireshark here:
> http://server.intellitech.gr/spice.cap.bz2
>
> Towards the end of the capture, is only key presses, and the mouse
> movement outside the VM viewer, to stop capturing.
>
> I haven't managed to find the spice dissector in wireshark (I got
> through yum).

It isn't in fedora yet, but it's in upstream.