boot.fedoraproject.org

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 12:54:53 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 03:19:49PM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> > > If so, better get mizmo in the loop as that isn't part of her mockup for the
> > > next iteration of the site.
> >
> > I think maybe we should decide where to put it based on which users we
> > think would make use of it.
> >
> > So tell me a bit about the kind of folks who would use boot.fpo? Are
> > these mostly more technical users (I'm guessing?) Why would they choose
> > to use boot.fpo rather than use a liveCD or DVD? What kinds of scenarios
> > are they using it in?
> >

> Anyone with network access could use it.  I think generally though right
> now we're targeting people with fast, solid internet connections.  I don't
> really think the experience level matters much as there's not much to this
> but if it fails I suspect troubleshooting will be odd for new users.

Not to mention the frustration of an inexperienced user when, each
time he makes a mistake, he has to re-download stage1 and stage2
again.  That's purely a technical constraint and makes perfect sense,
but it would tell me that experience level does matter somewhat.  You
don't want inexperienced people trying this without really clear
expectations of what they might have to do in the event of a mistake
or failure.