New download pages, brainstorming

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 30 20:12:24 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 03:53:04PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Can you expand on bring us all together as a community? Where do new
> users usually interface with old timers and contributors right now? It's
> not on the website. Has it ever been on the website? I don't think it
> has been. On the forums, on ask.fpo, in IRC, on mailing lists maybe?

I don't think it has been on the web sites; I guess I kind of would like it
to be now, though. I'm pretty old-school, but the few mailing lists I'm
really still active on are the Fedora (and Red Hat internal) ones. I would
think more than twice before signing up for a new one.

We don't really run the forums, and that bb-style forum interface is clunky
and awful. I hope we can have something up and running with hyperkitty soon,
and I'd like to push that to higher visibility -- possibly with some all-new
lists specifically chartered to have a more friendly and positive tone.
That's not necessarily the front page, but I'd like it to be close by. I'd
also love to see some connection with the badges system -- that's proven to
be great fun for existing contributors and is an excellent way to show new
ones an easy way to jump in.

> What specific activities are you looking to support?

A shared space which represents the pulse of Fedora. I'd like to load the
and find an interesting snippet of what's going on, along with easy paths to
the four things I mentioned earlier. (Or some variant of those; like I said
those were just what came to mind.) Like I said earlier, I think a merger of
the current web site and the Fedora Magazine site (presuming content
generation really gets off the ground and stays flying) is pretty close.