the header of the site

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 27 07:09:45 UTC 2013

Le vendredi 14 juin 2013 à 18:48:48 (+0300), moshe nahmias a écrit :
> Hi,
> I am from Israel and use fedora in English for some time now, just found out
> the fedora site in Hebrew and wanted to say it looks good.
>
> A few things I want to comment on...
> It seem a bit strange for me that the header is positioned from left to right,
> meaning that the fedora logo is on the left side and the choosing of the site
> language is on the right side just like the English version.
> Since Hebrew is written right to left it seems a bit strange to have it that
> way.

Hi Moshe,

Thanks for your feedback.
I agree, we could update that, but this concern legal and logo usage
guidelines.
I am not sure we want the 4 F's to be at the left side of the Fedora logo.
And keeping the logo that way, if we just switch the side without
revert, it would look wierd IMHO.
I'll see what we can do for that.
Elad did most part of the RTL CSS. Elad, any opinion?

> I mean that the fedora logo and the "4 F's" are supposed to be on the right
> side and the language selection and the contribute reference to redhat on the
> left side.
>
> BTW, why the 4 F's are not translated? As long as the first letter doesn't have
> to be the same as the first letter in fedora or between the words themselves
> it's easy to translate in the spirit of fedora and linux

They were. And we reverted.
We decided to not translate the 4 F's when they are printed with the
Fedora logo. Because it could lead to legal issues. Because we don't have
official translations in every languages. Because translations don't
always use words begining with an F. And because sometimes the wording
change during translations leading to misinterpretation. We wanted to
avoid that.

On an other side, the 4 F's are translated down on this page, when they
are not part of the Fedora logo.

Cheers,

--
Kévin Raymond