waartaa -- open source web-based chat

Ratnadeep Debnath rtnpro at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 8 21:11:52 UTC 2014

Hi all,

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 11:18 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 08:17:19AM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> >I saw there was a proposed talk on this for Flock, so I went to see what it
>> >was. (See <https://flock-lmacken.rhcloud.com/proposals#3>.) I'm in the
>> >middle of the NELF conference right now, but I thought I'd throw this out as
>> >maybe something to integrate into the Glorious Future Community
>> >Collaboration Hub.
>> Oooooooooooooh!!!!! Great idea! Getting up and running on IRC has
>> been a barrier for some new contributors, particularly in the design
>> space. This would be really nice!
>
> I convinced prospective Flock speaker Ratnadeep Debnath to join this mailing
> list for further discussion. Hello, Ratnadeep!

Thanks Matthew for inviting me to this list :)

Waartaa is an Indic term and it means "to communicate". And that's
what Waartaa is aimed for. Currently, Waartaa is an open source web
IRC client as a service only. However, in the future, we want it to be
a one stop open source solution for communication and collaboration
(Text (IRC), audio, video). With Waartaa, we want to implement a
communication tool with zero learning curve (unlike current IRC).

We started working on Waartaa to solve some of our (as well as
general) pain points with IRC communication. And yes, we are kind of
inspired by Hipchat. One of our main focus is UI. Waartaa has to be
beautiful and intuitive.

Currently Waartaa implements:
- 24x7 idling
- Mail notifications (when user is not online)
- Centralized logging
- Unique identity (no matter where you login from, you are always you,
and not you_, you__)

We have had quite some discussion on the roadmap for Waartaa.
Following are the key items in our roadmap:
- Build a search framework to go through IRC chat log history.
- Allow users to bookmark a chat log or a set of chat logs.
- Chat log permalinks will power in app notifications and mail notifications.
- Reply to mentions via mail (similar to Github issues, Zendesk mail
notifications)
- HTML5 Mobile UI
- Audio/video chat powered by WebRTC
- Dashboard/wizard to help users discover IRC channels for various communities
- URLs for IRC channels
- Improve UI

The roadmap looks quite daunting and we are too puny to do this on our
own. However, with the help of the community, we believe that we can
make Waartaa an awesome tool for communication and collaboration in
the open source world.

Please share your feedback on Waartaa and help make it better and awesome.

Regards,
rtnpro
--
Ratnadeep Debnath,