fedora.next, ideas for the websites

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 23 10:54:25 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:45 AM, Robert Mayr
<robyduck at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I know it's rather early, but the WG decisions are going more concrete
> every week, so we could start to collect ideas of how to make the
> websites look like and what would be the best solution to keep the
> pages user-friendly, clear and informative at the same time. Once we
> have something to work on, we can open a specific trac ticket to start
> coding.
> It's also clear we depend on the marketing and design team, this means
> the earlier we have some ideas the better, because we can speak to
> them in time.
> The actual status, and for F21 we shouldn't have any surprises, is
> about 3 products:
> * Workstation
> * Server
> * Cloud
> All of them have the same Core and will be released at the same date
> (for F21). We need also to give all of these products the same
> importance.
>
> Pages affected by this change are mainly:
> index, get-fedora, get-fedora-all, verify, get-prerelease.
> If we look at it farther, we should also change the splash pages and
> the using and features pages (here we need marketing).
>
> The work for F21 Alpha (if we definitely use the new release cycle) is
> limited to the get-prerelease and verify page. There should be also a
> few adjustments on the index, IMHO.
> But the work on the get-prerelease page surely will give us the
> direction on how to present the three products, so it's rather
> important because it will be reflected afterwards in the get-fedora
> page (for final release).
>
> Personally I'd see a three column layout for the three products, this
> should work as entry page and once the user select the product he is
> interested in, he will be redirected to the specific page where he'll
> find also the download button. This can be a tab within the same page
> or a new page, I'd prefer a tab as it's much faster.
> I have already some doubts we need to figure out asap:
> What's with spins? Will we still have separated images? It seems not,
> but I may be totally wrong here...for all these doubts we need to have
> as many informations as possible from the WG, and FESCo filed an
> activity report to keep track of the decisions [1].
>
> If you have any ideas or addtions to this please add them, this topic
> should work as brainstorming and news-collector, in order to not
> forget anything important when rewriting the pages.
>
> [1] https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1221

Thanks for the initiative Robert.
Reading fast, answering faster:

- Do we know yet that the Base won't be shipped as a product? I would
see dev downloading base in order to install their own Fedora very
specific (is ISO is made).
- In the download area, I would see 3 column or one block and 2 column
bellow. With the first (block or middle column) featuring the default
download (which would stay Workstation, right?). With main info
(dl{,direct,torrent,live} links).
The other column would just be the explanation about the product (a
name, a text, a picture). One would click on the column to hide the
previous shown and display specific content. Then we would just have
index (get fedora default) and get-fedora.
There is no need anymore about get-fedora-all.

That way, we strip out many entries to show smart and precise content.

Also, we should matter about accessibility. And Javascript should be
only about improving the general shape/beauty of our design.

--
Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)