fedora.next, ideas for the websites

Robert Mayr robyduck at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 23 13:07:21 UTC 2014

2014/1/23 Kévin Raymond <shaiton at fedoraproject.org>:
> Thanks for the initiative Robert.

Thanks for the quick answer and ideas.

> - Do we know yet that the Base won't be shipped as a product? I would
> see dev downloading base in order to install their own Fedora very
> specific (is ISO is made).

The idea is nice; afaik the Base is the very base for all three
products, but it is not a product by itself. In the future it could be
that we will have more than three products.

> - In the download area, I would see 3 column or one block and 2 column
> bellow. With the first (block or middle column) featuring the default
> download (which would stay Workstation, right?). With main info
> (dl{,direct,torrent,live} links).

+1 for one block and two columns, indeed we have only 960px width ;)

We should already think about different release cycles. As said for
F21 they will be simultaneous, but from that on the three products can
have different release schedules. For example, I guess Server WG will
try to have much longer cycles than Workstation.
Also, at this point, we can throw away the secondary arches concept:
We have only s390 and PPC left as secondary, s390 will probably
release Server images, and that is, as explained in the Board Proposal
[1], enough to be considered Primary.

> The other column would just be the explanation about the product (a
> name, a text, a picture). One would click on the column to hide the
> previous shown and display specific content. Then we would just have
> index (get fedora default) and get-fedora.
> There is no need anymore about get-fedora-all.

Yes, right. We could put the informations we have in get-fedora-all,
and not in get-fedora, into the new get-fedora page. I like the idea
of one single download page for all products.

> That way, we strip out many entries to show smart and precise content.
>
> Also, we should matter about accessibility. And Javascript should be
> only about improving the general shape/beauty of our design.

Agree totally also here, but we wouldn't need JS for this. We have
jquery for the tabs (just handle it with them if needed) and for other
things we can use CSS.

Fortunately we have already a lot of things for Cloud, we will re-use
what we have. For Server we don't have anything, that will be the
funny part.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora.next/boardproposal

--
Robert Mayr