the inverted question mark on the fedoraproject start page is backwards and it looks weird

Robert Mayr robyduck at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 30 05:54:24 UTC 2014

Il 30/mag/2014 02:47 "Matthew Miller" <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> ha scritto:

> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 08:51:43AM -0400, David Shea wrote:
> > I guess that's a font issue? This is with the firefox and fonts that
> > come with Fedora, though, so it's at least a Fedora issue if not
> > exactly a web issue.
> > Screenshot of what I'm talking about:
> > http://dshea.fedorapeople.org/%C2%BF.jpg   the first item in the
> > Planet Fedora column.
>
> I'm not quite sure what's going on there. The font is Cantarell, and on my
> system, the inverted question mark in Cantarell looks just fine (although
> placed kind of weirdly low, with the bottom of the curve sitting on the
> beardline).
>
> What version of Fedora do you have, and what version of the font is
> installed? (`rpm -q abattis-cantarell-fonts`)
>
> --
> Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --    <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
>                                   "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"

This issue should not depend on the font, it's an encoding issue. Probably
the blog used a special character in the title of the post which couldn't
be displayed properly. In those cases an inverted question mark is shown.
Maybe I can have a look later on the specific post to see if that is really
the problem, because actually the post is not shown anymore on start.fpo.

Robert Mayr
(robyduck)