the inverted question mark on the fedoraproject start page is backwards and it looks weird

David Shea dshea at redhat.com
Fri May 30 12:23:47 UTC 2014

On 05/30/2014 01:54 AM, Robert Mayr wrote:

> Il 30/mag/2014 02:47 "Matthew Miller" <mattdm at fedoraproject.org
> <mailto:mattdm at fedoraproject.org>> ha scritto:
> >
> > On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 08:51:43AM -0400, David Shea wrote:
> > > I guess that's a font issue? This is with the firefox and fonts that
> > > come with Fedora, though, so it's at least a Fedora issue if not
> > > exactly a web issue.
> > > Screenshot of what I'm talking about:
> > > http://dshea.fedorapeople.org/%C2%BF.jpg   the first item in the
> > > Planet Fedora column.
> >
> > I'm not quite sure what's going on there. The font is Cantarell, and
> on my
> > system, the inverted question mark in Cantarell looks just fine
> (although
> > placed kind of weirdly low, with the bottom of the curve sitting on the
> > beardline).
> >
> > What version of Fedora do you have, and what version of the font is
> > installed? (`rpm -q abattis-cantarell-fonts`)
> >
> > --
> > Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --
>  <mattdm at fedoraproject.org <mailto:mattdm at fedoraproject.org>>
> >                                   "Tepid change for the somewhat
> better!"
>
> This issue should not depend on the font, it's an encoding issue.
> Probably the blog used a special character in the title of the post
> which couldn't be displayed properly. In those cases an inverted
> question mark is shown.
> Maybe I can have a look later on the specific post to see if that is
> really the problem, because actually the post is not shown anymore on
> start.fpo.

It was still in my cached copy, so I can confirm that the character it's
trying to display is just a normal inverted question mark (U+00BF).

dshea at dshea-laptop:~$ rpm -q abattis-cantarell-fonts
abattis-cantarell-fonts-0.0.15-1.fc20.noarch

Poking at it in the element inspector, firefox says "Cantarell Regular
remote" for the font, using
http://start.fedoraproject.org/static/css/fonts/Cantarell-Regular-webfont.ttf
as the remote URL. If fontmatrix can be trusted (I don't really know
what a good way to view arbitrary characters in a font file is), this
particular font renders an inverted question mark as open on the left,
while the Cantarell Regular I have on my system renders it as open on
the right.