[389-devel] Instance discovery tools in lib389

William Brown william at blackhats.net.au
Thu Aug 13 00:00:07 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-08-13 at 07:49 +0930, William wrote:

> > > I hope this demonstrates how I want to tie together the other
> > > contributions I
> > > have made into tools, but also making it possible to test other
> > > aspects of
> > > 389ds.
> > >
> > > Comments and advice welcome.
> > Hi William,
> >
> > This looks good to me, it's definitely a good start.  I see no reason
> > not to push the patch once you think it's ready and polished enough.
> > Don't forget to add the license text to new files. <This actually
> > needs
> > to be done for many of the files in lib389 - I'll open a ticket for
> > that>
>
> Thanks! I think that the main piece of polish is the helper.py library
> that backs the cli tools to make them a bit easier to write. I'll make
> this a bit nicer now and send this back in for another review.
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Sincerely,

Here is a slightly more polished CliTools helper, and the addition of a more
"interesting" command line tool example of an attribute query tool. You give it
an attribute type and it will provide a list of object classes that Must or May
take that attribute. I have found this a very useful tool in my work place where
we have a complex custom schema, so it's great to know what objectclass to put
on objects when you need to put certain attributes on them.

The biggest outstanding part for me now is how to best format the output of the
tool. Should I use the same logging tool as lib389? Or print things out in the
current form? Or something else.

Sincerely,

--
William Brown <william at blackhats.net.au>