[389-devel] Instance discovery tools in lib389

Mark Reynolds mareynol at redhat.com
Thu Aug 13 14:20:47 UTC 2015

On 08/12/2015 08:00 PM, William Brown wrote:

>>> Hi William,
>>>
>>> This looks good to me, it's definitely a good start.  I see no reason
>>> not to push the patch once you think it's ready and polished enough.
>>> Don't forget to add the license text to new files. <This actually
>>> needs
>>> to be done for many of the files in lib389 - I'll open a ticket for
>>> that>
>> Thanks! I think that the main piece of polish is the helper.py library
>> that backs the cli tools to make them a bit easier to write. I'll make
>> this a bit nicer now and send this back in for another review.
>>
>> Thanks for your time,
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
> Here is a slightly more polished CliTools helper, and the addition of a more
> "interesting" command line tool example of an attribute query tool. You give it
> an attribute type and it will provide a list of object classes that Must or May
> take that attribute. I have found this a very useful tool in my work place where
> we have a complex custom schema, so it's great to know what objectclass to put
> on objects when you need to put certain attributes on them.
This will be very useful.  Things like missing objectclasses for
"memberOf", and such things, always seem to pop up, so this can
definitely be used on that front.

> The biggest outstanding part for me now is how to best format the output of the
> tool. Should I use the same logging tool as lib389? Or print things out in the
> current form? Or something else.
I "think" the current form is fine, the lib389 logging is more for how
the tool is "running" (for troubleshooting, etc), and not what the tool
should be "doing".  Does that make sense :-)  Perhaps others on this
list might have a different opinion.

I'll give this some time, and if no one has any concerns/comments I'll
push the patch.

Thanks,
Mark