[Fedora-directory-users] Re: Username Case Sensitivity

Scott Boggs sboggs at trustedcs.com
Mon Feb 20 19:25:58 UTC 2006

Jeff Clowser <jclowser <at> unitedmessaging.com> writes:

> Do you need usernames to be case sensative, or do you need them to be
> all lowercase?  Very different thing - if you need them to be case
> sensative, you can do one of the things I mentioned above.  If you need
> them to be strictly lower case, whatever you use to create users in the
> directory needs to validate usernames and only put in usernames that are
> lower case - i.e. create a custom web front end in php, perl, etc for
> managing users.  When it creates new user entries, have that interface
> lowercase usernames before putting it in the uid attribute and creating
> the user entry.
>
> Can you expand a bit on what your application is or why it needs this?
> What about your application, environment, etc is driving a need for case
> sensative uid's or lowercase uids.  Is it an issue of syncing with
> another environment that has these requirements/format, etc?  If we knew
> more about what is driving this need, we may be able to provide more
> useful advise or suggestions.
>
>  - Jeff

We have some internal security applications which have issues if a user logs in
with incorrect case in their username.  The site policy dictates the the
usernames  must all be lowercase, but if a user types it incorrectly an adds a
uppercase instead of lowercase they have issues.  I think a unique
(non-standard) use of the attribute should do what I need.  I will look at the
00core.ldif as you have suggested.  thank you very much