[Fedora-directory-users] Console SSL Problem

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Nov 28 18:16:59 UTC 2006

Nicholas Byrne wrote:
> Firstly, thanks for your help. Responding inline below -
>
> Richard Megginson wrote:
>> Nicholas Byrne wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> With FDS 1.0.2, I've followed the configuration howto guide lines to
>>> setup the Directory Server to use SSL (as per my post a few days
>>> ago) however after configuring the Administration Server and Console
>>> to use SSL as well i've run into trouble. The directory server alone
>>> works fine with SSL.
>>>
>>> The reason i'm trying to get Admin and console working in SSL is so
>>> i can setup a secure windows sync agreement, without this all i can
>>> do is setup a insecure sync agreement.
>> But you don't have to get Admin and console working with SSL in order
>> to set up a windows sync agreement with SSL.  Do the docs say you
>> have to do this?  If so, where?
> No the docs don't say that explicitly but when setting up a windows
> sync agreement it doesn't give you the option of changing the supplier
> - it is set to "ds01.tech:389".

That's just the label it uses for that particular server in the
console.  It really uses ldaps if you configure it to, even though it
shows the non-secure port for the label in the console.  This is merely
used to identify the server.  This is a well known source of confusion.

> The Windows side of the connection is fine as i can specify the
> connection details. I was following the guide at
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/sync.html#2859728
> and the image under "step 6" indicates the supplier should be
> configured as port 636.
>
> I am new to this, so i may have got confused but i thought passwords
> won't be syncronised unless the FDS supplier and the Windows AD Server
> are set to use SSL/636. I also realise password changes won't be
> synced unless passsync is installed and configured on the AD side, but
> right now thats not necessary as i just want to get basics working.

You can use passsync without SSL for testing purposes, but do not do
this in production.

>>> The console will not display anything (absolutely no screen or
>>> anything) after entering password and clicking OK in the
>>> authentication dialog. There are no messages in the console i
>>> started it on.
>> startconsole -D will give you debug information, and startconsole -D
>> 9 will give you everything.
>>>
>>> Before i configured the SSL on the admin server and console it was
>>> working correctly and displayed the normal Admin server/Directory
>>> Server screens.
>>>
>>> The console which i'm running using (i also tried admin user):
>>>
>>> startconsole -u "cn=Directory Manager" -a https://ds01.tech:59910 -x
>>> nologo
>>>
>>> I turned loglevel to debug in the admin server and this is what i see:
>>>
>>> [Tue Nov 28 14:22:46 2006] [info] Connection to child 30 established
>>> (server ds01.tech:443, client 10.170.99.22)
>>> [Tue Nov 28 14:22:47 2006] [notice] [client 10.170.99.22]
>>> admserv_host_ip_check: ap_get_remote_host could not resolve
>>> 10.170.99.22
>>> [Tue Nov 28 14:22:47 2006] [info] Initial (No.1) HTTPS request
>>> received for child 30 (server ds01.tech:443)
>>> [Tue Nov 28 14:22:47 2006] [debug] mod_admserv.c(2518): [client
>>> 10.170.99.22] checking user cache for: cn=Directory Manager
>>> [Tue Nov 28 14:22:47 2006] [debug] mod_admserv.c(2525): [client
>>> 10.170.99.22] not in cache, trying DS
>>> [Tue Nov 28 14:22:47 2006] [debug] mod_admserv.c(1480): [client
>>> 10.170.99.22] admserv_check_authz: request for uri
>>> [/admin-serv/authenticate]
>>> [Tue Nov 28 14:22:47 2006] [notice] [client 10.170.99.22]
>>> admserv_check_authz(): passing [/admin-serv/authenticate] to the
>>> userauth handler
>>> [Tue Nov 28 14:22:47 2006] [info] Connection to child 30 closed
>>> (server ds01.tech:443, client 10.170.99.22)
>> This looks ok, except for the log shows port 443 and you are using
>> port 59910.
> Is there a way to fix this? If i'm using https that implies 443 but
> specifying the port 59910, which has precedence - i assume the the
> port. If i use http and port 59910 the console with debug shows the
> server fails to respond:
Right.  https tells it to use HTTP over SSL, and the port specifies
which port the server is listening on.  When you configure the Admin
Server to use SSL, you can no longer use HTTP - you must use HTTPS.  The
admin server doesn't listen to both a non-secure port and a secure port,
as does the directory server.

> CommManager> New CommRecord
> (http://ds01.tech:59910/admin-serv/authenticate)
> http://ds01.tech:59910/[0:0] open> Ready
> http://ds01.tech:59910/[0:0] accept>
> http://ds01.tech:59910/admin-serv/authenticate
> http://ds01.tech:59910/[0:0] send> GET  \
> http://ds01.tech:59910/[0:0] send> /admin-serv/authenticate \
> http://ds01.tech:59910/[0:0] send>  HTTP/1.0
> http://ds01.tech:59910/[0:0] send> Host: ds01.tech:59910
> http://ds01.tech:59910/[0:0] send> Connection: Keep-Alive
> http://ds01.tech:59910/[0:0] send> User-Agent:
> Fedora-Management-Console/1.0
> http://ds01.tech:59910/[0:0] send> Accept-Language: en
> http://ds01.tech:59910/[0:0] send> Authorization: Basic  \
> http://ds01.tech:59910/[0:0] send> <removed> \
> http://ds01.tech:59910/[0:0] send>
> http://ds01.tech:59910/[0:0] send>
>
> With https, i get to through the authentication stage at least.
>>>
>>> In the slapd log i see:
>>>
>>> [28/Nov/2006:14:22:46 +0000] conn=51 fd=65 slot=65 SSL connection
>>> from 10.170.99.22 to 10.103.20.21
>>> [28/Nov/2006:14:22:46 +0000] conn=51 SSL 128-bit RC4
>>> [28/Nov/2006:14:22:46 +0000] conn=51 op=0 BIND dn="cn=Directory
>>> Manager" method=128 version=3
>>> [28/Nov/2006:14:22:46 +0000] conn=51 op=0 RESULT err=0 tag=97
>>> nentries=0 etime=0 dn="cn=directory manager"
>> This looks like the /admin-serv/authenticate request as logged in the
>> admin server.
>>> [28/Nov/2006:14:22:46 +0000] conn=52 fd=64 slot=64 SSL connection
>>> from 10.170.99.22 to 10.103.20.21
>>> [28/Nov/2006:14:32:04 +0000] conn=52 op=-1 fd=64 closed -
>>> Encountered end of file.
>> This looks like the console is attempting to use ldap on the ldaps
>> port.  I think you need to tell the console to use SSL when talking
>> to this directory server -
>> http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:SSL#Using_the_command_line
> I ran through that part of the howto, here is the output below and as
> you can see  " nsServerSecurity" is set to on (i assume this is the
> bit you mean?) -
Yes.  So now attempt to restart the admin server and restart the
console, using the https:// URL.