[Fedora-directory-users] I have 2 masters in MM mode- how do I adda 3rd and 4th?

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Mon Apr 30 19:56:09 UTC 2007

> Currently, I have 2 FDS in production in Multimaster mode. I
> want to bring 2 more up as well and put them at a remote site
> so eventually they will replicate via WAN. Then I will have 2
> sets of my data- one at each location.
>
> So I plan to bring up 2 new servers in MMR mode with the
> first 2 servers. Once they are synced up I would then move
> the new ones to the remote site and use SSH tunnels to
> re-establish the replication connection.
>
> Can someone chime in on the viability of this?
>
> Is this possible?
>
> What are the steps? I have looked and have not found anything yet.

I'd highly recommend against doing it this way.  The extra complications
added by setting them up and them moving them probably just isn't worth
the effort vs. setting them up the way they'll be used from the
beginning. Unless your LDAP repo is obscenely large, chances are you
won't save much time setting them up locally, either. If I were to go
further I'd say you're asking for trouble trying to keep them synched
over SSH tunnels, given the low reliability you'll have on connectivity.

If it were me (and it has been several times) I'd just set up the
servers as usual, in the places where they'll be used, and then use
something a bit more reliable (or at least fault-tolerant) as a
connectivity method, such as stunnel.  Then the only thing you need to
do differently is set up replication on the providers to a local IP
address, and otherwsie it's the same as a standard setup.