[Fedora-directory-users] Do not yum install fedora-ds or yum upgrade!

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Feb 16 19:09:31 UTC 2007

There is a problem with the new fedora-ds in Fedora Extras.  It
conflicts with the old fedora-ds 1.0.x installation.  If you do a 'yum
install fedora-ds' or a 'yum update' on a system that has fedora-ds
1.0.x installed, the installation will remove the old binaries.  You may
be saying "So what?  Isn't that what you want?"  No, sadly.  The
fedora-ds 1.1.0a1 in Fedora Extras is the core only - when you upgrade,
you remove all of the other files for admin server, console, etc.  The
good news is that none of the configuration or data is affected and you
can easily recover by following these steps:

    * Find the fedora-ds 1.0.4 RPM you installed from originally, or
      download from http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Download
    * rpm -Uvh --oldpackage fedora-ds-1.0.4-1......rpm

We are working on a solution for this.  We will hopefully figure out a
way to install both 1.0.4 and 1.1 at the same time, but we may have to
make the 1.1 Conflicts: fedora-ds < 1.1 or something like that.  In the
meantime, fedora-ds is being pulled from the Fedora Extras yum repos so
that this doesn't happen again.

I apologize for any inconvenience.