[Fedora-directory-users] Migration from 1.0 and 7.1 to 1.1

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jul 9 14:38:12 UTC 2007

David Barker wrote:
> Richard Megginson wrote:
>>
>> One of the big issues is cross platform migration e.g. going from
>> FC-5 i386 to F7 x86_64.  There are a number of issues involved with
>> this.  We are trying to figure out the best way to do this and we
>> need your help.  If you could, please read the section about cross
>> platform migration -
>> http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DS_Admin_Migration#Cross_platform
>> - and let us know what you think, especially if you are an admin who
>> will actually be using this in a production environment.
>
> I'd guess the "worst-case upgrade" is a single directory server
> deployment where a cross platform upgrade could imply only 1 host is
> available for reformat? If so, doing a "Local Source to Remote Target"
> migration doesn't make much sense. In such cases, an export to ldif
> first, backup/ reinstall / restore "/opt/fedora-ds" and then do the
> upgrade against the restored data seems like the best way to do things.
Do you mean, you reformat the disk and install the new version of the
OS?  On the same machine?  In that case, if the architecture is the
same, no data conversion is needed - the data in the databases can just
be used directly.

> Multi-directory-server sites probably have spare hardware kicking
> around - I wouldn't worry about wasting disk space ;-)
Sure, but there are some cases where folks will have multi-GB databases
on old machines.