[Fedora-directory-users] Directory server password security

Russell Miller duskglow at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 04:37:22 UTC 2008

UMESH PANWAR wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are using Fredora Directory server 7.1 for authentication of users,
> mail accounts and proxy authentication. Yesterday I have observed that
> passwords goes in plain-text and anyone can retrieve actual user name
> and  password  easily with using a  software named cain.
>
> Can anybody suggest how can i secure user's password so that the
> password should travel in encrypted form.
>
> I am new with fedora-ds so please explain me in detail.

Unfortunately I don't have time to explain to you in detail.  But I can
point you in the right direction.  Probably the best and most secure way
to do it is to set up SSL between the client and the server.

This is going to take you a while to set up in the beginning, but once
you have your CA and signing key, things will get much easier.

--Russell