[Fedora-directory-users] Help needed migrating from Sun ONE to Fedora DS 1.1

Chris Waltham cwaltham at bowdoin.edu
Thu Feb 7 21:21:50 UTC 2008

I'm reasonably new to LDAP and very new to Fedora's DirectoryServer.
I'm trying to "migrate" (I use the term loosely) from a Sun ONE
(specifically, JES 2004Q2, which is Directory Server 5.2) LDAP server
to a Fedora Core 8 server running DS 1.1.0 (installed from a yum
respository's binary).

My problems are twofold: I have custom schema authored by Bowdoin (a
college, my employer), and I have schema that comes from Sun's
implementation of LDAP. For example, on the Sun server, 99user.ldif
contains the following:

objectClasses: ( nsmsgCfgmtaautoreplyhandler-oid NAME
'nsmsgCfgmtaautoreplyhan
  dler' SUP top STRUCTURAL MUST cn MAY ( nsmsgDefaultecho $
nsmsgDefaultreply
  $ nsmsgDefaultvacation ) X-ORIGIN ( 'iPlanet Messaging Server
configuration'
   'user defined' ) )

(which is for iPlanet, a part of Sun's... well, whatever)

As well as:

attributeTypes: ( majorname-oid NAME 'majorname' DESC 'Major Full
Name' SYNTAX
   1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15 X-ORIGIN 'user defined' )

Which is used to track students' majors. I tried following the
instructions I found here: http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/MigrateFromSun.html
  and "converting" the 99user.ldif file into a more typical LDIF and
adding that with ldapmodify, but that didn't work particularly well --
a lot of the Sun-specific schema was rejected by Fedora DS. Then I
tried removing what I thought was the Sun schema extensions leaving
Bowdoin's extensions, and that seemed to work (with one or two strange
exceptions).

However, when I tried to import the LDIF full of users from the Sun
system (which I dumped with db2ldif), I get a whole host of errors:
mostly things like "Error adding object 'dn:
cn=Administrators,o=Bowdoin College,c=US'.  The error sent by the
server was 'Object class violation. attribute "mgmanmembervisibility"
not allowed". I'm no expert, but I presume this is because the LDIF of
users still contains references to the Sun schema attributes. So, here
are my questions:

* why can't I import the Sun schema if that's what I want to do?
* if I can't import the Sun schema, is there an easy way of stripping
out the Sun attributes from a 10,000-user LDIF file?

Thanks,

Chris