[Fedora-directory-users] Help needed migrating from Sun ONE to Fedora DS 1.1

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Feb 7 21:33:02 UTC 2008

Chris Waltham wrote:
> I'm reasonably new to LDAP and very new to Fedora's DirectoryServer.
> I'm trying to "migrate" (I use the term loosely) from a Sun ONE
> (specifically, JES 2004Q2, which is Directory Server 5.2) LDAP server
> to a Fedora Core 8 server running DS 1.1.0 (installed from a yum
> respository's binary).
>
> My problems are twofold: I have custom schema authored by Bowdoin (a
> college, my employer), and I have schema that comes from Sun's
> implementation of LDAP. For example, on the Sun server, 99user.ldif
> contains the following:
>
> objectClasses: ( nsmsgCfgmtaautoreplyhandler-oid NAME
> 'nsmsgCfgmtaautoreplyhan
>  dler' SUP top STRUCTURAL MUST cn MAY ( nsmsgDefaultecho $
> nsmsgDefaultreply
>  $ nsmsgDefaultvacation ) X-ORIGIN ( 'iPlanet Messaging Server
> configuration'
>   'user defined' ) )
>
> (which is for iPlanet, a part of Sun's... well, whatever)
>
> As well as:
>
> attributeTypes: ( majorname-oid NAME 'majorname' DESC 'Major Full
> Name' SYNTAX
>   1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15 X-ORIGIN 'user defined' )
>
> Which is used to track students' majors. I tried following the
> instructions I found here:
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/MigrateFromSun.html and
> "converting" the 99user.ldif file into a more typical LDIF and adding
> that with ldapmodify, but that didn't work particularly well -- a lot
> of the Sun-specific schema was rejected by Fedora DS. Then I tried
> removing what I thought was the Sun schema extensions leaving
> Bowdoin's extensions, and that seemed to work (with one or two strange
> exceptions).
>
> However, when I tried to import the LDIF full of users from the Sun
> system (which I dumped with db2ldif), I get a whole host of errors:
> mostly things like "Error adding object 'dn:
> cn=Administrators,o=Bowdoin College,c=US'.  The error sent by the
> server was 'Object class violation. attribute "mgmanmembervisibility"
> not allowed". I'm no expert, but I presume this is because the LDIF of
> users still contains references to the Sun schema attributes. So, here
> are my questions:
>
> * why can't I import the Sun schema if that's what I want to do?
You should be able to do that.  It's really odd that Sun defined schema
is in 99user.ldif - that file is reserved solely for user defined schema
added via LDAP.  You'll have to post the errors here so we can address
the issues.
> * if I can't import the Sun schema, is there an easy way of stripping
> out the Sun attributes from a 10,000-user LDIF file?
If you are a Perl hacker, you could use Mozilla perldap (included with
the fedora ds software) or Net::LDAP (probably bundled with your linux
OS perl distribution).  If you prefer python, python-ldap also has an
LDIF parser.