[Fedora-directory-users] Re: Clarification of User DS tab

Thorsten Scherf tscherf at redhat.com
Sun Jan 18 12:40:48 UTC 2009

On [Sat, 17.01.2009 21:37], John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>I'm in the midst of setting up a DS replica using SSL and find myself a
>bit confused on the purpose of the User DS and Configuration DS tabs in
>the Administration Server Configuration.  Could someone point me to some
>documentation on them?
>
>What do they represent? I am guessing the Configuration DS is how we
>connect to the portion of the tree holding configuration
>(o=NetscapeRoot?).  When the LDAP server is part of another
>administrative domain, should this point to the local LDAP server or to
>the LDAP server which manages the administrative domain?

The Configuration DS is o=Netscaperoot and User DS is the dn of your
DIT, eg. dc=example,dc=com. Since you can setup a dedicated DS just
for your Configuration, it makes sense to have seperated
SSL-Configuration settings for accessing the Configuration and User DS.

When you have a setup where several LDAP instances sharing the same
Configuration Directory, then you have to point the User DS to the local
running instances and for the Configuration Directory you point to the
server which holds a copy of o=NetscapeRoot.

Happy Day.
Thorsten

--
"Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end."
  — Stephen Hawking