[Fedora-directory-users] idm-console does not accept cert

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Tue Jan 20 19:45:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 08:43 -0700, Rich Megginson wrote:
> John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-01-17 at 19:59 -0500, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> >
> >> Hello, all.  We are working on implementing SSL on our directory server.
> >> Our test environment is using Centos using console framework 1.1.1 and
> >> ds centos-ds-8.0.0-1.4.el5.centos.4.  When we attempt to login to
> >> centos-idm-console, we receive an error that the certificate this server
> >> presents is either untrusted or unknown.  When we view the cert, the
> >> note under details says "Untrusted issuer".  However, if we look in
> >> Manage Certificates for the Administration Server (I assume the console
> >> is logging into the Administration Server but the same is true for the
> >> Directory Server), we see the CA cert as trusted and see the certificate
> >> chain.  Everything looks correct.  Why is the console not trusting the
> >> CA cert? Is it looking for it someplace else? If so, where?
> >>
> >> More details:
> >> I'm assuming the problem is the CA cert.  The admin server cert details
> >> are:
> >> cn=ldap01admin.ssiservices.biz
> >> There are DNS entries in subjAltName of:
> >> ldap01.ssiservices.biz
> >> ldap01
> >> ldap01admin
> >> and there is an IP address entry.
> >>
> >> I get the same problem connecting to
> >> https://ldap01admin.ssiservices.biz:9830 as
> >> https://ldap01.ssiservices.biz:9830
> >>

> > On a lark, I took a look in my home directory and, sure enough, found
> > a .centos-idm-console directory.  I entered it and issue the following
> > command to import the CA cert into the individual user's database:
> >
> > certutil -A -d . -n "CA certificate" -t "CT,," -a
> > -i /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/SSICA.pem
> >
> > It all works now.  Perhaps I overlooked it but I did not see that step
> > in the documentation.
> >
> Please file a doc bug.
>
> The way it should work is if there is no CA cert, you should get a
> dialog asking you if you want to temporarily accept the connection.  Is
> it possible there was an old CA cert in ~/.centos-idm-console/cert8.db?
Oh, that is the way it was working.  I was just expecting it to work
without having to manually accept the cert.  The key was telling the
user to trust the CA.  It makes perfect sense now that I understand what
is happening - of course the user application is not using the CA trust
already established within the directory server to authenticate to the
directory server! Thus it needs to trust the CA independently.

> > I've also noticed that the manage certificate dialogs reverse the OU and
> > O fields on the details page.
> >
> This has been fixed and the fix will be in the next release.
> > Finally, it appears idm-console can use the entries in the subjAltName,
> > i.e., I can login using both ldap01 and ldap01admin for the host but it
> > does not like the IP field, i.e., I cannot login to
> > https://10.1.1.1:9830 without generating a cert warning - John
> >
> I'm not sure if IP addresses are supposed to play well with
> subjectAltName - do other software packages work like this?  I'm not
> sure what the standards say about this.
Web browsers will indeed accept the IP values of the subjAltName to
identify the entity (at least Firefox does and I believe the spec (I
don't recall the RFC number) does call for such behavior).  It appears
idm-console has not been so coded.