[Fedora-directory-users] New to Fedora Directory Server (Questions)

Sas Jamal sas.jamal at linkagemobile.com
Sun Jan 25 07:47:30 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

I am relatively new to Linux, and LDAP (I have some experience with Active
Directory).

I have recently inherited a message board installation (Vbulletin), and some
custom apps, each with their own user database. I noticed that VBulletin had
a LDAP Plugin which was used by several members of the community, and a
friend suggested I implement LDAP as a centralized system for manging user
accounts, since it is scalable and easy to backup

(All of the applications are on different networks on different servers).

It seemed like a good idea, but I am a bit lost J

I have installed Fedoara Directory Server, and I need to have the passwords
for all users stored as MD5 hashes, and I also want to modify the schema to
support fields which are common throughout all of our systems.

I also want to use E-Mail Addresses as a Unique Identifier.

I am a bit overwhelmed, and new to LDAP as well, are there are any resources
or tutorials or books you guys can point me to.

Thanks,

Sas