[389-users] Migration from OpenLDAP and PassSync with AD

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Thu Jul 9 17:24:16 UTC 2009

On 07/09/2009 09:35 AM, Prashanth Sundaram wrote:
> Elaborating the Qs:
>
> Question1:Since we have an existing LDAP server(OpenLDAP) and users were
> logging in to other dev, prod and testing servers using the passwords
> managed by this OpenLDAP server. I believe the way the member servers
> remember the user credentials is by assigning each user with a unique
> security ID. (please correct me if I am wrong) If that gets lost in
> migration, then my users' permissions will have to be re-assigned from
> scratch (pain for sysadmins)
>
> So my question was, will the users be able to login to member servers after
> migrating to FDS and still have same permissions and home directory folder
> and everything looks the same without panicking about any missing
> permissions or files.

I believe you are referring to the uidNumber and gidNumber attributes.
File permissions use these numbers.  These will remain the same when you
export from OpenLDAP and import to 389.
> Question2.1: What will happen to the passwords that are different on the FDS
> and AD before the Sync. I do not want the passwords to be reset on FDS or AD
> after 1st sync but only future passwords changes to be Synced to FDS and AD
> and vice versa.

A clear-text password is required to sync since different hashing
schemes are used on each side.  Passwords will only be synchronized when
they are changed, which is what you want.
> Question2.1: I was working with windows before and noticed that the Windows
> saves users with a unique id. If that is lost or recreated, the previous
> permissions will no longer hold true for the user, even though the username
> is same. Is it same in Unix environment? Like say I delete a user account
> from FDS and a day after I re-create the ID, will the permissions stay
> intact?

The uidNumber and gidNumber are used in *nix, not the actual uid.  If
you re-create a user using the same uidNumber and gidNumber, the
permissions will still have the same net effect as they did with the old
user entry.

>>> 389-users at redhat.com