[389-users] Registering to a central admin server

Chris Phillips chris at untrepid.com
Mon Jun 22 19:13:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com> wrote:

> Chris Phillips wrote:
>>

>>    Try editing /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/adm.conf to point to the
>>    correct server, then try register-ds-admin.pl
>>

>> I'm afraid I'm still in the dark here. The adm.conf is used by the admin
>> server to contact the DS instance to be managed? I thought the logic was the
>> other way round, with the DS server "phoning home" to register itself to the
>> Admin. Either way, the adm.conf then only lists one server in the ldapurl,
>> and the other two attributes referencing the server, sie and isie both get
>> changed to match the server in the ldapurl as part of the registration,
>> removing all other references to the server that was in there. So whilst I
>> thought my modifications to adm.conf (changing the ldapurl from server b to
>> a) on server b and running register-ds-admin.pl on server b would add server
>> b to the admin console on server a. Instead it *replaced* server b with
>> server a on the admin console on server b, meaning both admin consoles were
>> then registered to administer server a. Not anything like what I wanted!
>>
>> Any pointers?
>>
> Change adm.conf back to point to which server you want to use as your main
> server, and then run setup-ds-admin.pl -u

My main what server? DS or Admin? As I understand that, that will register
whatever server is listed as the ldapurl as the only instance in the Admin
server on the box I'm running this on. Correct?

Am I being deluded about this? I'm expect to log in to an admin server with
the idm console, and see a list of 8 different machines listed there, and be
able to browse the ldap tree of any of those machines, including their
o=NetscapeRoot and be able to manage ACI's, password policies and such...
This is the model you recommend, no?

Thanks

Chris