[389-users] Migrating to LDAP authentication

patrick.morris at hp.com patrick.morris at hp.com
Tue Feb 2 19:38:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010, Sean Carolan wrote:

> > Incidentally, that may also answer your other question about how to
> > disable local shadow file passwords.
>
> Any suggestions for migrating accounts from /etc/shadow into the LDAP
> database?  I tried this LdapImport perl script but it threw a bunch of
> errors and ultimately failed:

At the time I did the initial import here, I put together a really ugly
shell script that used a few cuts, greps and/or seds against the passwd
and shadow files to build an LDIF, and then dumped it in with an
ldapmodify command.

It's actually easier than it sounds once you're familiar with the
posixAccount schema and which passwd attribute maps to which LDAP
attribute.