[389-users] Password policy questions

Greg Kuchyt kuchytgj at potsdam.edu
Tue Jul 10 14:59:05 UTC 2012

First off, I'm sorry if I missed a document somewhere that covers this,
but after some searching I failed to find such a source that explicitly
spells this out. In order to verify my findings in testing, I had a
couple questions about the userPassword attribute and its relationship
to the password policy.

Is it accurate that the 389DS password policy only comes into effect
when the LDAPv3 password modify operation is used (i.e. via ldappasswd)?
I noticed that setting a default password hashing algorithm does not
affect my ability to use any type of hash or clear text in the
userPassword attribute or bind.

We have historically managed the userPassword field like it is any other
field and are looking to switch the hash type we use to store passwords.
I was wondering what exactly switching the default password algorithm
"does". From my testing it appears that it does not affect the existing
data or manual changes to it. This leads me to believe it only comes
into play during the password modify extended operation.

Thanks for any help, and again my apologies if this is covered somewhere
and I failed to find it.