[389-users] Password policy questions

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Jul 10 17:33:06 UTC 2012

On 07/10/2012 08:59 AM, Greg Kuchyt wrote:
> First off, I'm sorry if I missed a document somewhere that covers
> this, but after some searching I failed to find such a source that
> explicitly spells this out. In order to verify my findings in testing,
> I had a couple questions about the userPassword attribute and its
> relationship to the password policy.
>
> Is it accurate that the 389DS password policy only comes into effect
> when the LDAPv3 password modify operation is used (i.e. via ldappasswd)?

or an ldap MODIFY operation of the userPassword attribute.

> I noticed that setting a default password hashing algorithm does not
> affect my ability to use any type of hash or clear text in the
> userPassword attribute or bind.
>
> We have historically managed the userPassword field like it is any
> other field and are looking to switch the hash type we use to store
> passwords. I was wondering what exactly switching the default password
> algorithm "does". From my testing it appears that it does not affect
> the existing data or manual changes to it. This leads me to believe it
> only comes into play during the password modify extended operation.

or an ldap MODIFY operation of the userPassword attribute.

> Thanks for any help, and again my apologies if this is covered
> somewhere and I failed to find it.
There is some info here -
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/User_Account_Management.html#User_Account_Management-Managing_the_Password_Policy

What you really want to do is only send cleartext passwords to the
directory server, use only LDAP MODIFY or the password extop to change
it, and use only the LDAP BIND operation to authenticate to the
directory server.  This will allow the directory server to internally
hash it for storage and comparison.