[389-users] No schema?

Gary Algier gaa at ulticom.com
Mon Jul 16 16:03:20 UTC 2012

On 07/13/12 11:42, Rich Megginson wrote:
> On 07/13/2012 09:41 AM, Gary Algier wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I just installed a fresh install of the 389 DS from EPEL and I see no schema:

>> # ldapsearch -x -h localhost -s sub -b cn=schema -wxxxxxxxx \
>>     -Dcn=directory\ manager
>> # extended LDIF
>> #
>> # LDAPv3
>> # base <cn=schema> with scope subtree
>> # filter: (objectclass=*)
>> # requesting: ALL
>> #
>>
>> # schema
>> dn: cn=schema
>> objectClass: top
>> objectClass: ldapSubentry
>> objectClass: subschema
>> cn: schema
>>
>> # search result
>> search: 2
>> result: 0 Success
>>
>> # numResponses: 2
>> # numEntries: 1
>>
>> If I look at /etc/dirsrv/slapd-*/schema I see lots of files all with all
>> sorts of contents.  Is the schema unavailable by design?  I also looked with
>> 389-console and I see nothing in the schema.
>>
>> Version information:
>> # rpm -q 389-ds
>> 389-ds-1.2.1-1.el5
> rpm -q 389-ds-base
> ?
>
> Note that in later 389 releases, the schema was made LDAPv3 compliant. The
> schema attributes attributeTypes, objectClasses, matchingRules, etc. are
> defined by LDAPv3 to be operational attributes.  This means they must be
> specified explicitly in the ldapsearch command line e.g.
>
> ldapsearch -x -h localhost -s sub -b cn=schema -wxxxxxxxx \
>      -Dcn=directory\ manager "objectclass-*" \* attributeTypes objectClasses ....
>> # grep ^ /etc/*release*
>> /etc/redhat-release:CentOS release 5.8 (Final)

All versions, just in case:
# % rpm -qa | grep 389-
389-ds-1.2.1-1.el5
389-ds-base-libs-1.2.9.9-1.el5
389-ds-console-doc-1.2.6-1.el5
389-dsgw-1.1.9-1.el5
389-admin-console-1.1.8-1.el5
389-ds-base-1.2.9.9-1.el5
389-admin-console-doc-1.1.8-1.el5
389-console-1.1.7-3.el5
389-ds-console-1.2.6-1.el5
389-admin-1.1.29-1.el5
389-adminutil-1.1.15-1.el5

So I need to ask specifically for the attributes, but I should still see the
dns, shouldn't I?

# ldapsearch -x -h localhost -s sub -b cn=schema -wxxxxxxxx \
  -Dcn=directory\ manager "objectclass=*" \* attributetypes objectclasses |
  grep -i ^dn:
dn: cn=schema

My goal here is to get a dump of the schema so I can compare it to my live
DS5.2 server in preparation for migration.  Are there any other tools for
doing this kind of thing?  I have seen discussion of migration but everything
seems to assume that the schemata match.

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ          gaa at ulticom.com             +1 856 787 2758
Ulticom Inc., 1020 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054      Fax:+1 856 866 2033

Nielsen's First Law of Computer Manuals:
     People don't read documentation voluntarily.