[389-users] No schema?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Jul 13 15:42:49 UTC 2012

On 07/13/2012 09:41 AM, Gary Algier wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I just installed a fresh install of the 389 DS from EPEL and I see no
> schema:

> # ldapsearch -x -h localhost -s sub -b cn=schema -wxxxxxxxx \
>     -Dcn=directory\ manager
> # extended LDIF
> #
> # LDAPv3
> # base <cn=schema> with scope subtree
> # filter: (objectclass=*)
> # requesting: ALL
> #
>
> # schema
> dn: cn=schema
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: ldapSubentry
> objectClass: subschema
> cn: schema
>
> # search result
> search: 2
> result: 0 Success
>
> # numResponses: 2
> # numEntries: 1
>
> If I look at /etc/dirsrv/slapd-*/schema I see lots of files all with
> all sorts of contents.  Is the schema unavailable by design?  I also
> looked with 389-console and I see nothing in the schema.
>
> Version information:
> # rpm -q 389-ds
> 389-ds-1.2.1-1.el5
rpm -q 389-ds-base
?

Note that in later 389 releases, the schema was made LDAPv3 compliant.
The schema attributes attributeTypes, objectClasses, matchingRules, etc.
are defined by LDAPv3 to be operational attributes.  This means they
must be specified explicitly in the ldapsearch command line e.g.

ldapsearch -x -h localhost -s sub -b cn=schema -wxxxxxxxx \
     -Dcn=directory\ manager "objectclass-*" \* attributeTypes
objectClasses ....