[389-users] Question about users and groups in sub suffixes

Noriko Hosoi nhosoi at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 16:28:56 UTC 2012

Hi Paul,

Paul Robert Marino wrote:

> Noriko
> Thanks for the reply as I mentioned in my previous email I assumed
> that when I created the sub suffix database for dc=b,dc=example,dc=com
> it would automaticly add the dn to the database but it doesn't so I
> manualy added it and it works now.
>
> For clarity that step should be added to the documentation.
> The way I figured it out is I just tried to add a new subdomain
> without adding a sub suffix and I got a warning message saying I may
> wan to add the sub suffix first

When I created the sub suffix/subdomain, I used the Console.  Here's
what I did.
Open Dorectory Console.
Choose Configuration tab
Choose the parent suffix under Data (dc=example,dc=com, in my example)
Right click shows a menu; choose "New Sub Suffix".
Fill "New Suffix" and "Database name" box
Then, the new sub suffix is generated (e.g., dc=B,dc=example,dc=com")
Expand the new sub suffix; choose the underlying database (having the
Database name you assigned)
Right click shows a menu; choose "Initialize database"
Give the ldif file to initialize the sub suffix/subdomain.

Thanks,
--noriko