[389-users] Multi-Theading writes to the same 389 Master Server

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Wed Aug 21 15:59:52 UTC 2013

On 8/21/2013 9:46 AM, Ludwig Krispenz wrote:
> we don't have dedicated threads for read or write operations, in
> theory writes should not block reads, but if the write threads queue
> up for the backend lock there might be no threads available to do the
> reads

I wasn't taking about threads. It is not true that writes can't block
reads. You might say that /typically /writes won't block reads. However
there are several reasons (including the one I gave -- the read wants
I/O that ends up delayed behind I/O ops initiated by writes) why reads
can be blocked by concurrent write activity. As Rich mentioned also, a
write txn can acquire exclusive locks on DB pages that the read
subsequently touches.